Croatian Democratic Union (Hrvatska demokratska zajednica,HDZ)
– date of foundation: 17th June 1989
– leader: Tomislav Karamarko
– ideology: christian democracy, national conservatism (centre-right)
– international affiliation: Centrist Democrat International, International Democrat Union
– political group in EP: European People’s Party
– elections results:
National assembly after 1989:
|Election||Total won seats||Percentage|
European Parliament – 2014: 5 seats (41,42%)
After 8 years of ruling in Croatia this party lost elections because many corruption scandals (former prime minister Ivo Sanader is in jail because of corruption). However, they “made some reforms” in party and they have elected new leadership so popularity of this party is again growing which was shown in the last elections for the EU parliament.
The main opposition party. Recent data shows that it enjoys support of 24.8 % of the voters.
This party supports the EU and has often emphasise its role in Croatia` s membership in the EU.